Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why is Effective Communication so important to me??

Greetings! Welcome to Miranda’s weekly blog show! My blog will be as semi-formal as a blog should be, just like what Joker in The Dark Knight says: Why so SERIOUS?!

I believe there are tons of reasons why developing effective communication skills are important but I would only touch on 3 points.

Point 1: It is important to have good interpersonal communication as this would ward off gossips like a talisman. As all of you should know, gossiping is the most efficient way to kill time with a bunch of like-minded colleagues. However, gossips are deadly. However, if I am an effective communicator, I would be able to work well with others which also mean that I can earn respect from my fellow confreres.


Point 2: Next, I believe that knowing oneself would mean being able to perform well
be it during a presentation or interview. We all know that sitting on the hot interviewee sit is torturous and arduous. However, when you know that the position that you opt for is something that suits your personality and working style, it would mean that you will be able to answer those demanding and brutal questions confidently and eloquently which can be achieved from effective communication skill.


Point 3: Lastly, it is important to foster intercultural communication as it would make me sincere and genuine. As the saying goes, first impression counts. When I understand the culture background of my client, I would be prepared to ‘deal with them accordingly’. Getting drunk and dizzy is part and parcel of a Japanese life. Therefore, as an effective communicator, I have to make sure that my Japanese clients do not sleep on the streets after 50 rounds of Asahi. Hence, if anyone is capable of dealing with your clients according to their cultural background, trust me, you will be the person your boss YEARNS for.

At last, I will leave you a quote from George Bernard Shaw that set me thinking:

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”

Peace out!

P.S: GBS won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1925. Some guy!


Miranda

6 comments:

Zhi Lian said...

Hi there, Miranda. After reading your post on why is there a need for effective communication, I agree with you that the three points you have mentioned are dire enough for us to have the need to develop and improve our communication skills so as to be able to interact better with other people.

Like what you said, effective communication skills really can go a long way for us in life as we have to utilize them in all sorts of situations from the day we are born till the day we die. In addition, these skills not only benefit ourselves but also to others whom we are communicating with so that we are able to establish smooth and pleasant relationships. Unfortunately, this may not be the case everytime because we as human beings are flawed though we seek to be perfect in everything everytime. As a result, we can see why till this day there are still so many unrest, confusion, riot and chaos in all parts of the world. Nevertheless, I believe that all of us do hope to achieve peace and order to at least a certain extent so that we can all live a better life (unless one is like the Joker who just want to see the world burns). Haha.

Having said that, I believe that effective communication is one of the key factor that can shape this world we live in and so by possessing these crucial skills and techniques, we can make this world a better place, hopefully.

What I decipher from the quote is that I "assume" that it means assumption is the mother of all failure in the context of communication. Just my personal opinion on the quote. Cheers!

(PS: The movie with the Joker should be "The Dark Knight" instead of "Batman Returns".)

miranda said...

hey zhi lian, thanks for your comment and thanks for pointing out my mistake!! I didn't realise it! Oh my,,

daijing said...

Hi Miranda, Daijing here. I do agree that developing effective communication skills can help to save a lot of gossips or even conflicts that are often times resulted from misunderstanding between parties. When one can work well with the others, it helps to increase the efficiency at work too. However, I feel that to gain respect is more than being able to communicate effectively. For me, what a person do or how are things done also affect the respect from me.

Regarding interviews, first impression is important. I agree that effective communication skills allows one to be able to speak more confidently and eloquently. This becomes an important factor in today's job market since knowledge and the ability to communicate the knowledge is essential at work. Therefore, will greatly determine if the interview is successful.

grace kim said...

Hi Miranda,

Responded earlier to your blog but upon checking, I couldn't see my comments so am rewriting this. Honestly, I don't know where the post got sent to because I'm very sure I clicked "publish your comment"!

You've given three very practical reasons but I'm not too sure though that having good communication skills helps to ward off gossip, especially "like a talisman". Yes, the chances of being gossiped about might be less likely but people gossip for all kinds of reasons.

I like the quote by GBS that “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” Would you care to share your thoughts on the quote?

miranda said...

“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”

it has been for a long time that people take things for granted. They are tuned to the concept of "others will know, I don't have to elaborate". This i believe is the most fatal mistake in interpersonal relationship.

Not everyone is your mother, even your mother doesn't know you inside out. It is not wrong to expect people to know you, but it is wrong to expect people to know you inside out. Therefore, I believe in clarification and constant reminder. This is one of the greatest lesson that I have learn as a piano teacher. Be sure that you have the upper hand so that others have no chance of maligning you for something that was unintentional.

Hence, i believe that everyone should keep this quote in mind.

Unknown said...

Hi Miranda, your three points effectively explained the importance of effective communication.

I strongly agree with what you mentioned in the second point-effective communication in presentations and interviews. Knowing what to talk and how to talk is vital especially in management level. Most of the MBA course focus the emphasis on effective communication in management process.

It is enlightening to see that you bring out the point that employers like the emplyee who can deal with the clients according to their cultural background. In this globalised world, dealing with people from different cultural background is vital especially in workplace. This is something all of us should learn.